For years, black pets have suffered the wrath of the prejudice of one thing- their fur color. Solely based on their fur color alone, they’ve been abused and abandoned.
However, the modern world has shed new light on the story as different events have been established to celebrate these beautiful animals with unique colors.
Some of these special days include the National Black Dog day ( 1 Oct), National Black Cat day (27 Oct), and International Black Cat Appreciation day ( 17 August).
Let’s find out more about why black pets face such a prejudice!
There are different reasons several individuals do not want to associate with black animals.
Different people and societies have different histories concerning their origins. In ancient Egypt, black cats were considered guardians of the underworld, while in the medieval period, it was associated with witchcraft.
Moreover, black animals, particularly black cats, are associated with witches in ancient Greek mythology. The myth speaks of a servant of Zeus who was trying to prevent the birth of Hercules but was caught. As a punishment for her sin, she was morphed into a cat. After that, she went to a witch and started working as her assistant. This association of black animals with witches at a time when witches were hunted and despised led to countless abuse and killings of black animals.
In addition, several people believed that black animals are evil and could be used as an instrument to perpetrate evil.
It is believed in several cultures that the black color connotes something negative. Precisely, black color usually is used to indicate something obnoxious. So, when some chance upon a black dog or cat, their mental configuration offers a negative interpretation.
In the Chinese language, the word black (黑 hei) is associated with bad luck, darkness, and illegal things. Black is believed it to represent sadness and destruction.
Due to the stigma associated with the black color, as well as the meanings people attach to the color, the same is imposed upon black-colored animals. People begin to believe that black-colored animals pose a danger.
Some also believe that black fur is associated with aggression. So, when they see a black dog or cat, they irresistibly see them as violent and, as a result, frown at them.
Although there have been superstitious beliefs that black animals are carriers of evil, some cultures believe otherwise. Here are some examples when black animals get the opposite treatment:
1. Some cultures believe that black animals bring luck
2. The ancient Egyptians took any harm to black cats seriously. In fact, it was regarded as a capital crime with heavy punishment. Egyptians believed that black cats brought good luck.
3. In Scotland, people believe that a black dog showing up at your door means good luck.
4. The Japanese believe that black cats are a sign of good luck and fortune.
The worst part of superstition against black animals is that it may have serious consequences on them. Some of these dangers that may emanate from wrong perception include:
1. Abuse of black animals: Seeing black animals as evil can result in several abuse cases such as beating, killing, or being left defenseless against danger.
2. Misconception breeds further misinformation: The more people present a wrong conception to other people around them, the more it'll continue to spread. Misinformation can generate several negative actions.
3. Black dogs and cats often last to get adopted: Due to the negative connotation attached to black dogs and cats, they are usually the ones who are left behind in animal shelters as they’re seen as undesirable as compared to other brighter colored pets.
Popular dates such as 1 Oct (national black dog day), 27 Oct (national black cat day), and 17 August (International Black cat appreciation day) are considered unique for several reasons. So, why should we celebrate these days?
1. To encourage the adoption of black or dark-furred animals by educating the public
2. To serve as a means of defying the myths and debunking them
3. “The first step to solving a problem is acknowledging that there is a problem.” Through these important dates, we’re able to get more people to acknowledge the misrepresentation of black animals as a problem. With more people understanding the issue, there is a higher likelihood that more want to step in. There’s also a higher chance that people in the pet industry would step up and solve this issue.
4. These dates act as a platform for animal lovers to organize campaigns targeted at raising awareness for black pets to tackle myths and negative views of them.
Here are some of the things we can do to fight against this problem:
1. Advocate for black animals: Speak for the rights of black pets and let your social circle know that black pets are just as good as other colored pets.
2. Stop the spread of misinformation and myths about black animals: The best way to stop misinformation from spreading around is to quit talking about it and educate those who are spreading the wrong information.
3. Open your home to a black pet: The change should begin with you. If you’re looking to adopt, you can consider adopting a black dog, cat or rabbit. If you already have a lovely black pet, be sure to shower it with the love it deserves!
4. Stop differentiating between black and other colored animals: Understand that all animals are equal irrespective of the color of the fur they have.
Going to the vet is important for pets' health but sometimes they're scared. Why are animals afraid of visiting the vet?
Confused of which vet to bring your pet to? Read more to find out about what types of vets there are available!
Read on to find out how you can differentiate a pet veterinarian from a wildlife veterinarian.
Dog treats are not created equal. There are quality treats that are vital sources of energy and support the immune system and organ function while others are empty calories...
Some plants may be great for your house, but they can be deadly to your cat!
Walnuts are nutritionally rich and this makes them great for human consumption. However, can the same be said for dogs?
Diarrhea can point to conditions that are life-threatening for puppies.
Watermelon contains many vitamins and minerals beneficial for your dog. However, there are some precautions to note before giving your dog watermelon.
Yoghurt can be good for your dog's nutrition, but what type of yoghurt is best?
Cases of vomiting in puppies are more serious than in adult dogs. Read on to find out more!
If you have a house-trained cat that is suddenly pooping on your bed, it might be a cause for concern!
Dental procedures are performed as a day procedure under anaesthesia, most commonly in Dogs, Cats and Rabbits.
Cats are vulnerable to various health issues that can have a significant impact on their health and well-being. Regardless of whether you have an indoor or indoor-outdoor cat...
A dog drinking excessive amounts of water can be a sign of a health problem!
Working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic would increase the risk of dogs having separation anxiety.
With so many anti parasite products available on the market, it can be somewhat overwhelming deciding which one is best for your lifestyle and your dogs’ health.
Long ago, the ancestors of today’s pet cats and dogs thrived as predators. To achieve the full spectrum of nutrition that they needed, they were inclined to eat most of their prey. With domestication...
A dog may throw up because he has eaten something that his digestive tract disagrees with or he may have gobbled down food too quickly...
Parasites can be a major concern at some point in the lives of pet dogs. They are one of the top reasons for visits to the veterinarian.
Dogs benefit from regular health checks and dental visits to the veterinarian. But how often is enough? How do you know when to take your dog to the vet?
Why is your dog battling with separation anxiety and how you can overcome it.
Anxiety is a normal emotion that dogs and cats may experience. The effect of anxiety on individual pets varies significantly. Anxiety disorders...
Though seemingly insignificant, your dog's dental health should not be overlooked.
A lack of mental stimulation can result in a plethora of behavioural issues.
Many dog owners will be familiar with the awkward scenario of their dog unexpectedly humping another dog, an inanimate object, or even a human leg.
Cat vomiting may be a perfectly normal occurrence from time to time, however, it can sometimes be a sign of a serious health problem.
One of the essential components of maintaining a healthy lifestyle for pet cats is having a good home dental regiment.
Does inhalation of cigarette smoke affect our pets?
It may seem strange, but there's a good reason why your dog is chomping down on grass.
It may or may not be a sign of illness, but it's best to find out if it is.